American (U.S.) Visa Application in Nigeria: How to Apply for U.S. Visa

If you’re applying for a U.S. visa as a Nigerian, your first step is to figure out what type of visa you need. There are two types visas: immigrant visas and non-immigrant visas.

Immigrant visas

Immigrant visas are for people who want to live permanently in the United States. So, once granted an immigrant visa, you become a Legal Permanent Resident in the United States, and you’re just few steps away from becoming a U.S. citizen.

Bear in mind that the U.S. Embassy in Abuja does not issue immigrant visas. If you’re applying for an immigrant visa, you must apply at the U.S. Consulate General in Lagos.

Non-immigrant visas                        

Non-immigrant visas are for people who want to stay in the United Stated for a short period only in order to achieve certain purposes.

People who need non-immigrant visas to visit the U.S. include students, specialty workers, tourists, and those seeking medical attention.

To have your non-immigrant visa approved, demonstrate to the consular officer that you have strong ties with Nigeria and that you intend to leave the U.S. as soon as you’ve achieved your purpose of visiting. You can apply for a non-immigrant visa at either the U.S. Embassy in Abuja or the U.S. Consulate Office in Lagos.

According to the guidelines on, examples of common non-immigrant visa types include business/tourist visa, work visa, student visa, exchange visitor visa, transit/ship crew visa, domestic employee visa, journalist and media visa, and so on.

Below is a full list of non-immigrant visa types:

  • Diplomats and foreign government officials (A)
  • Business/Tourist (B)
  • Transit (C-1)
  • Ship/Airline Crew (D)
  • Treaty Trader/Investor, Australian Professional Specialty (E)
  • Student (academic) (F)
  • Employees of a designated international organization, and NATO (G, NATO)
  • Temporary/Seasonal Workers and Employment, Trainees (H)
  • Journalist and Media (I)
  • Exchange Visitor (J)
  • Fiancé(e) or Spouse of U.S. Citizen (K)
  • Intracompany Transferees (L)
  • Student (vocational) (M)
  • Persons with Extraordinary Ability (O)
  • Athletes. Artists & Entertainers (P)
  • International Cultural Exchange (Q)
  • Religious Worker (R)
  • Victim of Human Trafficking (T)
  • NAFTA Professionals (TN/TD)
  • Victim of Criminal Activity (U)

Visa fees

Nigerians applying for a U.S. visa — including children — are required to pay a non-refundable, non-transferable visa application fee, sometimes referred to as the MRV fee, before applying for a nonimmigrant visa. The visa application fee must be paid whether a visa is issued or not. The type of visa for which you apply determines the fee amount.

Applicants for B, C-1, D, F, I, J, M, T, TN/TD, and U visas are to pay $160 to any GTBank branch. Applicants for H, L, O, P, Q, and R visas are to pay $190 to any GTBank branch.  K-visa applicants are to pay $240 to the cashier at the U.S. Consulate General in Lagos. And E-visa applicants are to pay $270 to any GTBank branch.

Applicants for A, G, NATO, C-2, and C-3 visa are not required to pay any fee. The same runs true for applicants for J visas who are participating in certain U.S. Government -sponsored educational and cultural exchanges.

Visa fee is also waived for a parent, sibling, spouse or child of a U.S. Government employee killed in the line of duty who is traveling to attend the employee’s funeral and/or burial; or a parent, sibling, spouse, son or daughter of a U.S. Government employee critically injured in the line of duty for visitation during emergency treatment and convalescence.

If the principal applicant is applying for an L-1 visa under the blanket L visa petition, the principal applicant must pay a $500 fraud prevention and detection fee at the time of their visa interview in the embassy. This must be paid each time a new I-129-S is submitted. The principal applicant may be required to pay a higher $2,250.00 border security act fee if this is indicated on the I-129.

How to pay

Non-immigrant visa applicants can pay for their visas in cash at any GTBank branch. At the bank, request for a U. S. visa fee collection slip. Write your fee payment amount and telephone number on the slip, and make your payment. You will be given a receipt. Keep this receipt for your records.

Alternatively, you can pay for your visa application via online transfer provided you have an GTBank account enabled for online transactions.

It is important that you correctly type your payment code (also called a UID) into the online payment form when you pay your fee online. The payment code is created after you create your online profile at the beginning of the online payment process. This code verifies your payment and allows you to schedule your visa interview.

After making payment…

  • Complete the DS-160 application form (click here for more details about the form).
  • Schedule your visa appointment (click here for guidelines for scheduling your U.S. visa appointment).
  • Visit the U.S. Embassy on the date and time of your visa interview. Be sure to check the Schedule My Appointment page for the necessary documentation needed for your appointment.
  • If your visa is approved, the visa will be sent to the document drop-off location you selected when you scheduled your appointment.