Unlike past times, it is now easier to transfer money electronically from one account to the other, even internationally. If you want to send money from India to Nigeria, there are a variety of options available to you. These are various means providing you the opportunity to choose the most affordable with the lowest fees.
Sending money from India to Nigeria is quite easy. You can pick from a variety of online options available. This article covers the various ways through which you can send funds/money to Nigeria from India. When using any of the available options, ensure you pay close attention to safety warnings about transactions and trading to Nigeria. Make sure you know that the recipient party on the other end is legitimate.
How to Send Money from India to Nigeria
Note that a credit card purchase often comes with security and protections that you will not often get with wire transfers.
To send money to Nigeria, you can use a funds transfer service such as Paytm, Western Union or Moneygram or any other electronic funds transfer services available. You can also check with your own bank to see if wire transfer services are available to Nigeria
International Transactions through Indian Banks
The primary benefit of transferring money internationally via a bank is the low cost so you can save more money. An Indian bank is a great resource when you want to send money from India to Nigeria. This is because funds transfers are usually provided at a reduced rate to customers. If the sender of the funds lives in India, the first place to begin checking is with his/her own bank. One of the most popular banks in India is the State Bank of India. However, you only have the option of sending funds to South Africa with this service. If your bank doesn’t transfer funds to Nigeria, you should then try any of the other options explained below:
Paytm is one of the most popular methods of sending money from India to Nigeria. Paytm is India’s largest mobile payments platform and is a must-have tool on your smartphone. You can use Paytm to transfer funds from India to Nigeria. However, you will need to join Paytm and register an account first.
How to send money from India to Nigeria via Paytm
Log into Paytm
Register an account and add money to your wallet
Once your account has been verified, you can follow through with your transaction, receive and send money to recipients in the countries made available in Paytm’s services.
To send money, tap Passbook, then Send Money to Bank.
Enter the amount to be sent, the name of the account holder, the account number and the IFSC code.
How to send money from India to Nigeria via Western Union:
- Visit the Western Union website to find the nearest physical location in India
- You can also use their site to transfer funds
- At the Western Union location, bring in your cash, your passport (ID) or any other document you can use to identify yourself
- Provide details of the recipient such as the full name, his or her phone number and other details.
- You will complete a send money from wherein you will be asked to provide the recipient’s name, your name, amount of money to be sent and other information
- Once the transaction has been made online or at the Western Union office, you will be sent a secret MTCN (reference) code.
- Let the recipient in Nigeria know the MTCN (reference code)
- The recipient of the money from Nigeria can track the code and be made aware when the money is available for pick up.
- The recipient has to bring along their ID and reference number to the Western Union office in order to receive cash.
Payment options when using Western union
When transferring money to Nigeria with Western union, you can simply pay with a credit or debit card which allows you to pay directly from your bank account to that of the recipient
You can also use the cash pick up option at a Western Union office
Moneygram is also an extremely popular method of sending funds from India to Nigeria
There are many Moneygram offices available.
How to send money from India to Nigeria using Moneygram
- Find a Moneygram agent office in India closest to you
- Take passport (ID) or any other with which you can be identified along with the money
- Ensure you complete the ‘send money’ form. To do so, you will have to provide your personal details, the recipient’s name, the amount of money, etc.
- You will be given a tracking number (reference code) which you must give the recipient
- The recipient in Nigeria can go to any of First Bank, Ecobank or UBA branch to pick up the cash. The tracking number must be provided alongside an ID (passport) so as to receive the cash.
This is an international money transfer service provider that charges using fair mid-market exchange rates provided by Reuters. This would mean low-cost transfers and hence, you are able to save more money. You can pay with your debit card or credit card or send the money from your online bank.
Just enter in details of the amount to be sent, and the location of the recipient.
Then make a local payment to TransferWise
With Transferwise, money is delivered locally so the recipient in Nigeria can receive their money directly from TransferWise local bank account